|In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Chester County Library began adopted the Infectious Disease/ Pandemic Plan which can be seen in full below. On March 17, 2020, the Chester County Library director and board agreed that the best course of action for the health of the library staff and community patrons: Effective March 17, 2020 at 5:00 pm, the Chester County Library will close to the public until April 1, 2020. On April 1, 2020, the library director and board will reassess the status of the library. |
During this time of closure, the library director will post a virtual storytime on Facebook on Tuesday and Thursdays. The library will also make available an abundance of resources via Facebook and the website for parents, seniors, and children that are at home and/or under quarentine. The library director will continue to monitor the situation and will make available reliable sources to get updates on the coronavirus.
Chester County Library
Infectious Disease/ Pandemic Plan
This infectious disease/ pandemic plan was created in response to the COVID-19. This policy can be altered as needed in the future, pending board approval, for other specific diseases if the need arises.
Action Plan Response to Coronavirus (COVID-19)
· Employees will continue regular policy of washing hands regularly and/or using an alcohol based hand sanitizer.
· Employees will routinely clean work areas.
· Employees will wipe down public surface areas, keyboards, mice, bathroom countertops, tables, and chairs on a daily basis upon opening and closing.
· All materials that are brought back from households that have been sick with any form of illness will be disinfected using Clorox wipes.
· If patrons mention that they have been sick, employees will encourage a renewal of their materials and for them not to come to the library.
Encouraged Preventative Actions
Applicable to all employees and/or patrons.
· Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
· Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
· Wash and/or sanitize your hands often.
· Should the library close due to illness, staff will perform a thorough cleaning of the building.
Employee Sickness Actions
· Library staff with symptoms are required to stay home.
· Library staff must be fever & symptom free for 24 hours without the assistance of fever-reducing medication to return to work.
· If the director becomes aware that an employee has a confirmed case of the COVID-19, the director will inform fellow staff members of possible exposure but will maintain confidentiality as required by the ADA (American Disabilities Act).
· Should a library staff member be confirmed to have COVID-19, the Chester County Library will close immediately until a full cleaning of the building is completed
· The Chester County Library will follow all recommendations of The Chester County Emergency Management Agency, Chester County Health Department, The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and State Library.
· The Chester County Library will close to protect staff should it be necessary. The decision to do so will be based on recommendations from local sources. For example, if the county offices close, the library will close. Board chairman approval will be requested before taking this action.
Chester County Library Actions
· The library staff will keep the building clean and sanitary.
· The library will have a hand washing station in the foyer of the library to encourage patrons to sanitize before and after leaving the library
· The library will sanitize all surfaces, keyboards, mice, and tables on a daily basis.
· Soft toys will be removed from the children’s area until the pandemic is over
· The library will sanitize materials, especially materials coming from homes that have had illness of any kind, as they are checked in and before being shelved.
Adopted via email by library board on 3/15/2020
Developed from Pennsylvania County Public Library Policy, CDC sample policy.